Browse By

Wind’s Requiem.

Remember that kid I had– oh, four years ago? Elias? Well, he doesn’t exist anymore. He has been replaced by Link the Legendary Hero. “I only have ONE NAME,” he told me, seriously. “It is WINK.”

“Blink?” I repeat, because I want to hear him say it again.

“WINK.” Dramatic.

“Wink?”

“WINK!”

“Oh, Link,” I agree. He nods. Link is armed with bombs he fashioned out of cardboard and an evil-repelling sword (which he wrote ELIAS on– not sure what’s up with that).

I just got off the phone with Nationwide Insurance, renewing our homeowner’s policy. Casey from Portland, Oregon took my call. The Virginia offices were closed due to snow, apparently, and the calls got rerouted. “It’s only dinnertime here!” he announced happily. Casey totally out-chippered me in our conversation. I have never met anyone so thrilled to repeat confirmation numbers. Heh.

“It even cost less than they said,” I told Jason as I walked back to put the receiver in the cradle. “Some of the service fees were waived. I called. I did it. I took care of business, dude.” After getting a cold Diet Pepsi: “I’m proud of myself, in case you couldn’t tell.”

Jason laughed. “Good job, Captain.”

“Thanks, Tennille.” (I was proud of myself for that one, too. Jason didn’t get it.)

There’s so many things I didn’t know about owning a house. Houses are just one drama after another. You know how when you’re a little kid, school is going to be so awesome? You can ENVISION school. It’s going to be games, recess, eating pizza in the cafeteria, riding on the cool yellow bus you see swallowing up all the older kids each day. And then you get to school, and it’s kind of what you thought but not exactly. School involves a lot of learning. Your mom packs your lunch, so you don’t always get pizza. Recess is trying to steal a ball to play with from one of the bigger kids. That’s being a homeowner. When we rented, I just didn’t think there would be so much of a difference, and there IS. Nothing is exactly what I expected.

SURPRISE ONE: Your house will get just as dirty just as quickly, even if it’s bigger. It’s actually easier for me to keep track of a smaller area, because you can put things away quicker. Now when I clean the living room, every object goes to a different part of the house, and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. There’s much more to clean, too. I thought, Hey, if we have a ton of bathrooms, we just won’t use them all and they’ll stay fresh longer. NOPE. Even if the toilet is totally unused, it will still get a ring from the hard water, there will still be cobwebs from out of nowhere, and you will not notice that your child flushed a toy in it until it’s too late.

SURPRISE TWO: When something breaks, your apartment company or landlord doesn’t take care of it. I knew that logically, but I can’t tell you how much it sucks when your washing machine is on the fritz and you realize it comes out of your own pocket.

SURPRISE THREE: Mortgage doesn’t cover all your house bills. Unlike rent, which was everything roof-over-your-head related, houses have property taxes and insurance, and– if you’re like us– HOAs. Which is thousands of extra dollars a year.

SURPRISE FOUR: The entire outdoors! Yards are maintenance. Our in-ground sprinkler sounded fun until we got the water bill, and it has to be carefully regulated. The outside lines have to be shut off in winter so the pipes don’t freeze. Gardens die FAST, and it’s expensive to even have a small one. The lawn has to be mowed every other weekend. The doors have to be sprayed so bugs don’t get in. Something is always needing to be cut, watered, weeded, or pruned. I just assumed that it took a decent amount of time for a yard to fall into disarray. Like, if you neglected it for YEARS, you’d have a run-down looking property. It only takes about three weeks, seriously.

Totally derailing onto a new train of thought:

Michelle is coming down, with Chris, with my parents, except my parents are coming on a different day, THIS WEEKEND. Yes, I purposely planned for that to be the least coherent sentence ever. Michelle and Chris are arriving on Saturday, my folks are arriving on Sunday, and they’re all staying till Monday. So, of course, today was the day Addie ate a red popsicle and carried it all over the house; bright crimson dye melted into every fabric surface. Of course.

I didn’t see Addie drizzling popsicle everywhere because I was troubleshooting Ali’s theme. It didn’t work out of the box like it was supposed to (through no fault of hers). After hours of scratching my head, I finally realized the test domain I was running it on and her domain had different versions of WordPress. You know how when you have the answer, it’s SO obvious? Yeah. We upgraded and it went pretty smoothly after that. Ali is a total doll and a dream client. She has patience for days. She’s all, “Well, the sidebar is working, and that’s something! Yay!” Heh. She didn’t stress at all that the rest of the site was broken. So, go over and tell her she rocks and that all of Jason’s hard work looks good! (He was graphic guy on this, and I just implemented code.)

I can’t believe that you guys did my meme. That’s so AWESOME. Now I have to make my grand finale follow-up meme. It’s right around National Delurking Week (although I don’t know who makes those rules). What you should do is either answer the whole thing, or even just your favorite question, in the comments. I promise this will be great.

BECCA’S FAKE GRAND FINALE COMMENT IT UP MEME!

15. What is your best quality?

I’m officially retiring from the meme racket. Enjoy my magnum opus, and I can’t wait to hear from all of you. Hee.

FacebookTwittertumblrGoogle+Email

21 thoughts on “Wind’s Requiem.”

1. evelyne says:

My Barbie horse, or the long white skirt I always wore when Sofie and I played “princesses”. But I think my mom threw that away when they moved two years ago.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

Dreams. I just have nightmares before important events like, the first day at a new job.

Natalie Portman’s character in Garden State

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

I don’t know what it would be called, but it would serve chewing-gum icecream – I love that and I’ve never seen it in Europe! And maybe M&M-McFlurrys. So I guess it would be an icecream-corner.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

Don’t know. “Bad weather, bad mood”, maybe?

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

No idea. But I already picked names for my first baby girl.

Attracted to jock, but don’t know what I’m closer to.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

The feet. Usually you don’t (want to) see them. But the legs are important and something I notice very early.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Coming home from my boyfriend.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

The sounds little baby-mice make when you haven’t seen them yet but know that they exist, somewhere deep under the straw in the mice-cage.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

By train, like I do it every day. I think I get sick on ships.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

A big house. I don’t get the point of having a fast car.

13. If you could only have one: love or money?

Love – of course. (Who would dare to say “money”, anyway?)

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

I don’t own a TV so I don’t know many commercials, but I can tell you the one I hate most: it’s “Charming”-toilet paper with this freaky bear.

15. What is your best quality?

I’m optimistic and happy most of the time.

2. Sávio says:

wow, ali’s site is amazing!! congrats!

ok, here we go!

i thought about that today!!! it was a red monster truck, very very cool, with that really big wheels and a button to turn off, run (it was very strong, even managed to go up in some obstacles, like little stairs and stuff haha) or stay still but with the engine loud like ready to go, i loved it

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

i dont dream that much (or atleast, like they say, i don’t remember them that much), but i think that i have less nightmares than dreams

3. What film character do you most relate to?

wow, great question! i think it would be vincent from gattaca and jesse from before sunrise (both by ethan hawke, really under-rated actor..) but if it can be a tv one like ally said, john carter from e.r., totally

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

no idea about the name, never thought about that, but it would definitely serve burgers and fries :)

5. What superstition do you believe in?

wear a red underwear to see my soccer team play in the stadium so they can win haha (flamengo’s uniform is red and black)

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

guilherme (portuguese to william), i think that it’s a strong name :)

i’m more like a geek, attracted to a mix of both

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

hard question, i was trying to think about something physical, but i agree with l, money, i dont think that matters when you like someone

bathroom, peed heh

a happy and funny laugh

train

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

fast car! new civic haha

love, no doubt

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

a palio weekend (fiat car) commercial from +-10 years ago, in a beach with fake fishs singing, hilarious

15. What is your best quality?

be able to smile and make joke about the problems (but not so much lately..)

3. Lisa says:

Believe it or not, I actually can’t think of a childhood toy that I used to own, and don’t any more. I have most (if not all) of mine hoarded in boxes, hehe.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

My dreams often contain nightmarish elements, but they’re still dreams, so yeah. More dreams.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Hmn. I don’t know; I don’t really watch that many movies to be honest. Oh, wait! I just saw the Bratz movie with my little sister, and Yasmin? The left out, loner, no friends type person? Totally me.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

It would be called Chloe’s and I think it would probably be Italian, only with real ice cream. No gelato.

Umm.. I don’t.

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

Chloe Jordanna Spencer. I have it all planned out, lol. I don’t like my name, but then, who does?

Nerd slash geek, for both questions.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

Their nose.. that sounds really odd. I just don’t pay any attention to men’s noses for some reason.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Opened the glass panel in the front door for some fresh air.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

In Ultima Online, when you make a potion and you succeed, there’s a noise that signifies it going into the bottle.. I like that noise a LOT. I don’t know why.

Train. I’ve seen Titanic. =P

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

I think I’d rather a big house. Although a car would be handy right now.. nah, the house.

Love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

The Handee Ultra Wipe ad. “This is a goldfish. These are glasses. That’s handee.” I’m a total ad addict.. you know how when you used to tape shows most people fast forward through the ads? Not me, I love them.

My diplomacy, I think.

4. kasper says:

Elias is so cute with his “Wink/Link” thing. Awh. I totally got the Captain/Tennille reference and thought it was oh so clever. I sadly understood every part of the home ownership thing. Though I must admit I don’t have to deal with the entire thing myself. My dad pretty much bought the house, lives downstairs and charges us rent to live upstairs. The deal was that all outside maintenance would be done by us (fair) so I get the lawn mowing, but there’s also snow shoveling and garbage/recycling day. No more can I scoot next door and toss my refuse down the old chute like at the apartment. What a drag. The landlord fixes were pretty sweet I must admit. Homeownership is terrific…but exhausting and expensive. ;) Now on to your meme… p.s. I did your last one too.

1. If you could find one childhood toy in the back of your closet, what would it be? my dolls Mandy & Jenny

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares? nightmares – at least lately

3. What film character do you most relate to? Josie Geller from Never Been Kissed

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what? Pies in the sky and it would only serve pizza

5. What superstition do you believe in? I’ve been known to knock on wood & I would never open an umbrella inside

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be? Something Irish, like Rhiannon probably

7. Jock slash cheerleader or nerd slash geek? Which are you closer to, which are you attracted to? nerd/geek definitely but attracted more to the masculine jock type

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex? hands

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer? put baby D down for a nap

10. What’s your favorite sound? baby D laughing

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train? train because depending on where you’re going there might not be much to see from the boat

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house? big house, but with a cleaning lady ;)

13. If you could only have one: love or money? love definitely

14. What’s your favorite commercial? I’m addicted to PVR lately so I haven’t actually seen many commercials and certainly no favourites

15. What is your best quality? I’m very patient

5. Ally says:

My Teddy Ruxpin, in working condition.

Dreams.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Okay, mine will be a TV character – Cameron from House.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

I have no idea on a name, but it would probably serve really great Italian food.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

Everything comes in threes. Is that a superstition?

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

Jillian. The name does NOT fit me… but I love it.

I’m a nerd/geek, but I’m attracted to both. My SO is a good mix of the two.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

Smaller details – if they have any tattoos or piercings (unless they’re really obvious).

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Watched a cartoon with Taylor.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

Taylor’s voice (most of the time). Sometimes I can listen to it and it will pull me into a really content, secure place in my mind.

Boat.

Big house.

Maaaaaaaaaaan. Love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

I would have to think about this a lot longer than I should. haha

15. What is your best quality?

The desire to know a little bit about everything – a well-roundedness.

6. kasey says:

I agree with Jen, you posting EVERYDAY is too awesome for words!!! Also Ali’s site looks awesome, yall rock!!!

My strawberry shortcake toys.

More dreams.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Uma Therman in Kill Bill…only kidding…I’m like, uhm, I really don’t know who I relate to. The Uma Therman thing is a total joke… I don’t even kill bugs…because I’ll feel bad.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

Yum May! And we would serve southern home cookin honay!

Is karma a superstition?

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

I like Kasey, it took many many years but I dig it now! I love to hear people say my name.

I’m the artsy ‘different’ girl who fit into her own category only. I’m much more attracted to intellect and a big heart than stereotypes, you can play football or warcraft, just have a brain and a heart please!!!

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

I guess it depends, I don’t really notice hands I guess. This meme is making me think I’m really weird!!

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Got some water. cough.lame.cough.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

Can I have 3? I don’t think Becca’s meme’s are super strict. So: my brother laughing, my sister laughing and the ocean crashing.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Train, with my wonderful grandmother, Debe.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

Uhm, hmmm…good question. A fast car and a small house!

13. If you could only have one: love or money?

Love: you can’t put a price on love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

Goodness, I fast forward through them now with DVR!

15. What is your best quality?

I think other people would say I’m a super good listener. People come to me to hear them out because I do not judge and I have an ability of instant understanding, like I’m empathetic beyond belief (sometimes it’s annoying that I care SO much). I think these traits collectively make up my best quality for others, and it’s why people come to me when they need someone to just listen.

My best quality to me is I’m also a compliment giver like you Becca, it makes me feel SO good to make others feel good about themselves! One little compliment can make someone’s entire month!

7. bekabug says:

The GIANT electric typewriter my Nana used to let me play with.

Nightmares

Enid in Ghost World

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

I have no idea what it would be called but it would be a totally vegan cafe and bakery.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

I throw salt over my shoulder whenever it gets spilled.

Emma

Geek on Nerd love all the way.

Feet

Brushed my hair

10. What’s your favorite sound?

Puppies and babies sleeping.

Train!

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

How about a perpetually clean small car and small house? Can I wish for one of those?

Love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

There was a mortgage commercial a while back and the guy is all ahhh i have the perfect life and he’s still grinning and he says: "And I’m up to debt in my eyeballs!" It cracks me up.

15. What is your best quality?

I think a lot and am filled with ideas.

8. Natalie says:

I didn’t actually have these toys, my boyfriend brought them over the other day to show me how ridiculous they are: Food Fighters. Chip the Ripper quickly became my favorite.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

I have a lot of both. I don’t know if they are considered nightmares but I tend to dream that I am really mad at someone. Like, MAD. And it is usually someone close to me which can’t mean anything good to a dream analyst.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Natalie Portman in Garden State because of the super bubbly yet realistic view on life and undying need to make people happy. And we share a name :)

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

I’ve always wanted to open one of those restaurants you see at the beach with the names that intend to be dirty and not dirty at the same time. I think there is one in Maryland called Big Dick’s, something like that.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

I knock on wood. If I say something that needs wood to be knocked upon and there is no wood, I get a little panicky. Have I mentioned I’m a little neurotic?

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

I actually love my name.

Jock/cheerleader attracted to nerd/geek.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

What they are wearing. I guess I’m like a guy that way but unless it is something really outrageous, I could not close my eyes and tell him what he is wearing.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

I actually just woke up. No classes on Fridays so I finally get to sleep in.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

My boyfriend coming home and talking baby talk to my pug before I can even see his face.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Train. I went on my first cruise this summer and my tummy didn’t take well to it the first couple of days.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

Big house. A fast car seems a little too risky.

Love!!

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

It’s a tie between (I am so bad at html and don’t feel like figuring out how to do a text link thing so I’ll just post the youtube links)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zo3iYqku7B4 and http://youtube.com/watch?v=B3ImtTlv5p4

See #3.

9. Jen says:

I’m excited every morning when I come into work and hit your site and see that you have updated YET AGAIN. So happy.

Here we go…

Anything related to Strawberry Shortcake. She was my favorite.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

Usually dreams, but lately I’ve been having more nightmares.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

That’s a good question. I don’t know if I really relate to her all that much, but I’ve always loved Meg Ryan’s character in “You’ve Got Mail.” So typically girly of me, I know. But I just love “The Shop Around the Corner” and want to OWN it for myself!

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

Jumping Jenny’s – and it would serve ICE CREAM.

Knocking on wood.

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock

A little bit of both! I’m a jocky/cheerleadery girl with a secret nerdy life. I think I’m attracted to more jocky though.

Um, their breath?

Ate some oatmeal.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

Cicadas buzzing in the summer.

Train.

Big house.

Love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

Lately it’s the one where the big bulldog meets the little bulldog and gives him his bone. But I love commercials, so there’s always a different favorite of the moment.

15. What is your best quality?

I’m friendly and approachable.

10. Cathrine says:

Hi Becca! First I’d like to say that I absolutely LOVE that you write a little everyday! Thank you.

SO!On to the meme :)

- I think it has to be all my LEGO bricks! I loved to build cities of LEGO, me and my best friend played with it all the time…ah the memories!

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

- I dream something almost every night, and I remember the dreams when I wake up. It’s usually really weird dreams, but rarely nightmares.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

- Wow..never thought about this…I love “Guido Orefice” played by Roberto Benigni in La Vita è Bella . It’s one of my favorite movies. With love and humor – you can survive everything. I try to live like that.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

- Since I live in Norway and we don’t have Taco Bell, I would start my own taco bell or something like that, with burritos and yummy tacos :)

5. What superstition do you believe in?

- I belive that what goes around comes around :)

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

-I have no idea! I like Cathrine :) It’s kind of universal, and I don’t have to explain my name if I travel to another country :) Catherine seems to be a name almost everyone know. (Even in Egypt!)

- I never really got the whole jock-cheerleader /nerd-geek thing..so I don’t know :)

- hm, hard question!

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

-I did the laundry, I have a day off.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

- The sound of boots walking on snow when the snow is packed.

- I like trains.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

- A big house. You can’t live in and decorate a car!

L-O-V-E!

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

- I have to pass on that one.

15. What is your best quality?

- I think I’m good at helping those who need it, family,friends or the children I work with as a childrens social worker.

11. Sparkle Pants says:

I didn’t finish my post containing your meme because I got distracted by the Mack truck of depression that plowed through my brain mid-afternoon.

BECCA’S FAKE GRAND FINALE COMMENT IT UP MEME!

My Weeble Wobbles. I loved those damn things.

Nightmares.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Emma Thompson’s character in “Stranger Than Fiction”.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

Takezo Kensei Bar & Grille. It’d be a coffee house that serves sushi. It’s kind of a joint venture between E and I…we came up with it for her NaNoWriMo.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

The dangers of opening an umbrella indoors.

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

Margaret. Maggie for short.

Nerd slash geek. Um…nerd slash geek, I suppose. Though I sometimes have a penchant for frat boys. I have no idea why.

Feet.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Put my coat around my legs because it’s effing cold in my office.

The ocean.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Train. I’m sure I’d be puking my guts out on a boat.

Fast car.

Money. I am in debt.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

The Cingular commercial where the little girl gives her dad her little monkey to take with him on his trip.

My ability to listen.

12. L says:

-ali’s site looks really cool! it turned out so well.

-i’m going to do your meme on my next post. i had a mega drama week so i thought i’d do a ‘omg the dramas!’ post and then save the meme for next time hehe.

-delurky time!

1. If you could find one childhood toy in the back of your closet, what would it be? i’d love to find my old security blanket that i had… i think my mum still has them somewhere.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares? i have really weird vivid dreams about people i know. and i talk in my sleep a lot too.

3. What film character do you most relate to? i’d like to think a combination of holly golightly and lorelei lee :p

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what? maybe they have these elsewhere, but i would open a vegetarian fast food place. because sometimes i just want a quick cheap lunch and nowhere has burgers that don’t have a hunk of dead animal on them :p

5. What superstition do you believe in? it’s not really a superstition but i like reading tarot cards for myself sometimes.

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be? i like my name, but i think i’d like to be called something short and quirky, like kit, or bunny :p

7. Jock slash cheerleader or nerd slash geek? Which are you closer to, which are you attracted to? nerd/geek on both counts, definately. but not the kind of nerd/geek who has a lack of social skills, more like the cool people who like coding and video games :p

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex? money. i’ve never really worried about how well-off someone is when dating them. i hate how so much revolves around money it’s nice to let it go in this instance :)

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer? got a drink of cold water.

10. What’s your favorite sound? this is a bit lame, but i like the sound of rain on the roof at night. we’re on the bottom storey of our block of flats so i don’t get to hear it that often.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train? if the train was cool like the the hogwarts express then it would be okay, i’ve traveled on a normal non-sleeper passenger train interstate before and it was hell. twelve hours of crowded, annoying hell :p

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house? big house!

13. If you could only have one: love or money? love. mostly because i just listened to this song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KlShSNc2dMA) and johnny cash makes a good point~

14. What’s your favorite commercial? i don’t have one because i hardly ever watch tv…

15. What is your best quality? i think i’m a good friend. and i have an offbeat sense of humor. ok that’s two, but oh well :p

13. Rhona says:

Oh this will be fun!

Honestly, just a barbie. I absolutely LOVED barbies when I was younger. I even had this pretty one dressed in a gorgeous white dress that my mom wouldn’t let me open. I could only stare at it, wishing it would open itself.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

Definitely more dreams. I don’t think I’ve ever had a nightmare.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Well I just saw Juno, and I can say I relate a lot to the title character….not because of teenage pregnancy, but I relate to her personality and sense of humor.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

Rhonizzle’s Chicken Wing Shop. Wow that’s lame. Obviously it would serve chicken wings, since I’m obsessed.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

I’m not really superstitious at all. But if I enter a bathroom that has a shower in it and the shower curtain is closed, I ALWAYS have to check behind the curtain before I go about my business. Paranoia I guess.

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

I love the name Cadence. Apparently it means rhythmic or something of that nature. I will probably name my first girl that, but I’d also love to be called that.

Nerd slash geek is closer to me and that’s what I’m attracted to.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

How much money they make, I think. I could care less.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Finished watching a replay of the Chargers vs. Patriots game that I somehow missed on Monday.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

I love the sound of people typing away on their computer keyboard. It soothes me for some reason.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Definitely train…I have a weird phobia of boats.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

A big house, because I drive like a grandma and I still would even if I had a fast car. Cars scare me.

Love definitely.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

The Mastercard commercial with Peyton Manning that aired last year around the Superbowl. It’s basically a bunch of people messing up at their jobs and Peyton gives them little pep talks.

15. What is your best quality?

I have the ability to make people laugh when they’re upset. I don’t even know how I do it, but I make random statements and people always seems to laugh. It makes me feel good.

14. Madison says:

I’ll put the meme up on my site tomorrow! I have to thank you for posting yours yesterday because I was totally uninspired to do a real entry. heh.

Your post today totally squashed any thoughts I had about wanting to own a house. What sealed the deal was the whole notion of paying for a washer or to fix a washer. No thanks!

15. Michelle says:

Yay! I love doing these!

I think I would either want to find an old Popple

or the gigantic plastic My Little Pony I used to have where you coul braid it’s hair and put all these little clips in.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

Oh, dreams definately. BIG dreams. I dream BIG.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

You know I almost opened a restraunt with an old boss of mine. It was going to be called “The Doghouse”. Our tagline would have been “What are you in for?” We had this idea that it would be a place to get gormet hot dogs and an assembly line kind of like Chipotle. We’d have like mac and cheese, chili, jalepenos, of course ketchup and mustard, beer battered onion rings, and whatever weird specialty toppings we could come up with. Then you jsut pick what you want on top. I thought it would be neat if the tables were shaped like dog bowls too.

5. What superstition do you believe in?

I believe that if I walk into a ladder, I’ll have seven years bad luck with a black cat.

Awesome McSexypants.

Oh definately nerd/geek for both questions. Well- truthfully I think of myself as more of a dork, but still.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

Whether they are interested in me. I seem to be totally clueless about that.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer?

Performed a burn protection wipe on our plasma screen.

10. What’s your favorite sound?

Someone laughing at one of my jokes.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Oh train, definately. I really want to use one of those sleeper cars sometime in my life. It just seems like so much fun.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

A big house. I don’t know if you know this, but I never had a lot of luck with cars. Truth be told, I’ve been in a few… “bang-ups” shall we say, with about… “a lot of cars” shall we say? At least I can’t back up a house into something.

13. If you could only have one: love or money?

Doesn’t seem much point for money if you can spend it on or with someone you love.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

Dude, I have no idea why, but I love this Orbitz gum commercial. I use the phrase “what the french, toast?” at work all the time now. Hehe.

15. What is your best quality?

Oh man, there’s so many to choose from! I’m hilarious, adorable, nice to old people… I guess I would say my modesty.

16. Brando says:

I just spent 30 minutes answering your meme on my own blog. I can totally relate to your son’s obsession with Zelda-that was one of the only reasons I bought a Game Cube years ago and now it gathers dust in a closet until we have Mario Kart championships. And owning a house can be such a pain sometimes (like having to find a polite and tactful way to tell your guests (especially females) that you have a septic tank and you can’t put ANYTHING in the toilets or use the worthless garbage disposal. If it weren’t MY house, there would be all kinds of foreign materials in the plumbing)

17. Les says:

I’m a lurker!

On to the things.

1. If you could find one childhood toy in the back of your closet, what would it be? My Little Pony probably haha.

2. Do you have more dreams or nightmares?

More dreams, but it’s vaguely unsettling because I rarely remember dreams.

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Oh, never thought of this one at all. Angelina Jolie in Hackers probably.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

No idea what name it would be, but I would serve thai and japanese food.

“Knock on wood”

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be?

I’m a fan of unusual names. Maybe Ayla, or Sorcha.

Oh DEFINATELY nerd/geek. I’m a computer dork and a videogamer, ’nuff said.

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex?

Probably the overall shape of their body.

Fed the dog her dinner.

A well-played flute.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train?

Having done both, I’d say it’s a draw, unless you’re on a shitty sleeper car with a creepy guy.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house?

Big house! Can’t live in a car.

Money hahaha.

14. What’s your favorite commercial?

Most of Comcast’s commercials are pretty good…

15. What is your best quality?

According to my husband, my intelligence.

18. Rachael W says:

Okay, I’m going to be the first person to answer your meme.

1. Bo the Bear, my first teddy bear. (This is cheating a little bit, because Bo the Bear is actually in a container in the corner of my room, not my closet.)

2. I have more dreams… but REALLY strange dreams.

3. This is probably going to sound pretty strange coming from a 21-year-old female college student, but — Lester Banes from American Beauty.

4. My restaurant chain would be called Ecki’s. It would serve pizookies and lemon cake.

5. I have a lot of strange superstitions, none of them the traditional ones; I tend to link the consequences of extraneous events (like sports games) to my personal life. Like, “if so-and-so wins this game, such-and-such a thing will happen to me.”

6. Rae, which is a contraction of my actual name.

7. Jock/nerd (I know that’s not an option, but it’s what I am), attracted to jock/nerd.

8. I have no idea.

9. Took a bath.

10. I really like the sound of the ocean and the sound of a ball hitting a bat.

11. Train; I get seasick.

12. A big house — then everyone who needed a place to stay could come stay with me!

13. Love.

14. My favorite commercial is basically any SportsCenter commercial.

15. People say I’m warm and generous, so I’m going to go with that.

Ali’s site looks great! You and Jason did a great job!!!

19. Lisa says:

Oh Man, I so read you on the surprises of home ownership. The first year was the worst. There were just so many things I took for granted as being “part of a house” that I didn’t really realize at some point, someone bought. Like garden hoses and big garbage cans. Did not occur to me that I might need to purchase these things until I realized they weren’t there.

As for the meme…

My really ugly doll that the dog chewed that I loved and carried around for most of my childhood. Frankly she has seen better days, and I do not forsee ever passing it on to a daughter because she’s just that trashed. But I can’t throw her out.

Dreams!

3. What film character do you most relate to?

Cher from Clueless. Not because I’m rich or anything – I just relate to the really smart about some things and totally clueless about others. For example – I didn’t realize that people had to pay to see the dentist until I was like, 22.

4. If you opened a restaurant chain, it would be called what and serve what?

It would be called the PMS Superstation and serve things like chocolate-covered doritos. I’ll leave it to you to guess what week it is around here…

5. What superstition do you believe in?

I don’t know if this counts, but I believe strongly in Karma.

6. If you had to be named something else, what would it be? Leila…I didn’t pick it, but it’s the other name my parents considered/fought about.

7. Jock slash cheerleader or nerd slash geek? Which are you closer to, which are you attracted to? I am nerd slash geek and attracted to nerd slash geek

8. What’s the LAST thing you notice about the opposite sex? Watches. I keep hearing from guy friends that the watch is apparently a big deal with chicks, but I never notice it.

9. What’s the LAST thing you did before you sat down at your computer? Put the bedsheets in the dryer. Oh yeah. I live on the EDGE.

10. What’s your favorite sound? The beep of the house alarm before it’s disarmed. It means a)I’m home and b)no one tried to break in while I was gone.

11. Would you rather travel by boat or train? train – I am relatively certain I’d be seasick.

12. Would you rather have a fast car or a big house? Big house. You can’t live in your car.

13. If you could only have one: love or money? Love!

14. What’s your favorite commercial? The vanilla miniwheats commercial

15. What is your best quality? I’d say it’s that I’m pretty forgiving. I don’t hold a grudge.

20. Jasmine says:

Ok, I just re-read your post… you both did a great job… and Jason’s graphics rock!!!

21. Jasmine says:

Hi there! Just thought I’d stop by and tell ya what an awesome job you did on Ali’s blog pad – it’s now officially my most favorite digs ever. Great work!

Comments are closed.